Search This Blog

Sunday 11 July 2010

Irregular Religious Idiot


http://www.last.fm/music/John+Lennon/_/Imagine



"Are you religious?!" asked my guest, mouth open. I found myself replying "Yes, I'm religious" although the word 'religious' is one I never use to describe myself. I think I know what the person meant by their question, and that the word 'religious' was used as a very general polite term. I wasn't asked ' Are you one of those pain-in-the-butt Christians?'
I remember the day I was asked very clearly and the question I was asked wasn't the most important thing that happened that day. I had spent the day with friends and family involved in a Christian rite of passage, in a cathedral where some guests had travelled from far away to attend. I didn't expect anyone to ask about something that seemed like a done deal.
Yes, the word 'religious' is one I never use to describe myself as I said, but why ever not?
Is it John Lennon's fault (no grudge here!)? He who penned the brilliant 'Imagine' song asking people to imagine that there were no differences between us, no threats, etc '...and no religion too' Religion is a cause of division amongst us. Apparently, according to some, it causes more wars than anything else.
I feel fairly sure that John Lennon, in that song, was singing about togetherness, and end to war and promotion of peace. I suppose that I also feel that our desire to belong to a religion isn't exactly a cause for war. I think religion is used as a lousy excuse for aggression. It is a human choice to believe that 'god' wants me to kill you/torture you/force you to do something. In my mind, it has nothing to do with a loving God.
Who was it, not Lennon, that said 'Love one another as I have loved you'?
I don't think He was being polite and general. Was this about togetherness, an end to war and promotion of peace? Well, of course, you know I think that. It's about a brotherhood of man and I think something else...
Anyway, since that was said centuries ago, how is mankind getting on with this comandment? Could the song 'Imagine' be a reaction to our collective failure among the tryers, the dismissive, the distracted, the deliberate and the doubters throughout history? Well, I love John Lennon's song like many other people. He himself at the time declared 'Imagine' to be 'anti-religious, anti-nationalistic, anti-conventional [and] anti-capitalistic'. He seems an archetype rebel and that feels good to me.
So I suppose in declaring myself 'religious' however awkwardly, what am I saying? Who am I in my belief and what should my answer have been?

No comments:

Post a Comment