Search This Blog

Tuesday 2 November 2010

More of a flexible friend than your credit card


In the heavens and the earth there are certainly signs for the believers. And in your creation and all the creatures He has scattered about there are signs for people with certainty.
(Surat al-Jathiyah: 3-4)

Now this reflective blog is more far behind than I had planned. I am reflecting on aspects of late April. This is due to not having time to blog frequently enough and I know I must speed up my posting. I have had a month gap!

So late April, and I was due to see my chiropractor to maintain my spine, as I have no pain or back problems. So why bother for a 15 minute manipulation for £26? I know for myself I value my spine in it's physical context. I have yet to develop my spine in it's emotional context. In fact spiritual backbone is quite an enigmatic concept for me. I was fascinated to read an internet article about finding a suitable partner with 'backbone' (and integrity).

"The man with backbone will find ways to solve difficult problems and not walk away from them or take an easier route. He'll treat the women in his life not as sexual objects but as fellow human beings who God loves and cares for. He will not try to dominate conversations with others but rather allow room for others' opinions even if he disagrees. He will be diligent in his spiritual disciplines such as Bible study and prayer, and his faith would be an important part of his dating relationships."

Well, I had to smile, that is just a bit of it. It also goes on to paint a picture of an ideal partner or person to look for. This blueprint of an ideal man with spiritual backbone is just fascinating for me. I don't think I actually agree with some of the components of a good Christian as described because he sounds a bit inflexible for a spine. However, if God is telling me to reflect on backbone in lieu of developing it for myself, then I ought to be open to what it may be.

I also found out that Susan Boyle said that Faith ‘is the backbone of who I am’. No point in thinking I am cleverer than someone with learning difficulties here. It looks as if the concept of backbone is known and lived by her. She uttered these words when interviewed about her life, which has been a hard and touching journey culminating in her success on the Britain's Got Talent Show with her subsequent fame and popularity. The songs that she covers are haunting really and display a wisdom in her singing for which there are no words to explain.

Spiritual or emotional backbone must be then both a standard to reach for, and a knowledge of the heart from faith. Can one have spiritual backbone without faith? I am still pondering that. I hope that developing some spiritual backbone will strengthen me. The process of manipulation makes me wince and feel afraid, but afterwards life is GOOD!

2 comments:

  1. Does God, as a Chiropractor grab us, tweak us and put us in funny positions to manipulate how we behave, feel and act in a christian way towards others ?
    Or does he take our ( Back ! ) pain in Jesus on the Cross, when we truly consider what it means to be a christian with a mission, to know how we should follow his word, how we should behave and respect others, treating them as we wish to be treated in true christian ways following his leadership !
    D x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good comment Darren. I suppose that God in his role of chiropractor of the spiritual backbone is answering a healing request prayer. I was trying to explore the idea of having inner spiritual strength. I do not feel that God manipulates us to act in a certain way, but manipulates us gently to free us from our own limitations somewhat. This too is likely to be in answer to prayer so I get what I ask for, even though it may be difficult.

    ReplyDelete